Monday, September 11, 2006

remember... but then live

I have a lot of little last minute things to do before my trip to Mexico... have I mentioned I'm going to Mexico? But I feel compelled to take a moment here and post something today. It's that day, you know.

Truth is I had planned not to mention it here. It's five years past, and it was horrible, no question... but life is about the now, the being here, being alive and relishing every minute of it.

It was a horrible event... a horrible day... terrifying really... I know I will never forget how that day felt.... and so many lives lost. So much sorrow all in one blow. And by NO MEANS do I mean to disrespect those who lost their loved ones, their grief is real and not to be taken lightly. The sheer number of people lost that day seems to intensify the grief for each individual, and that's really tough to get through. The grief of others feeding your grief and so on.

But this blog is about hope, and moving on and living in the moment thankful for the smallest things we have and so often dismiss as mundane. A crisp, sunny fall day, like today - we have that! We're alive and we get to be in this day! I'm not saying there is anything wrong with remembering those we've lost, but I think it's a safe bet that they would not want their loved-ones lives to stop and be given over to constant mourning.

It seems so much emphasis on the memorializing of this tragedy only perpetuates the grieving process for so many. No! We have life here, now. The world is a mess, there are terrible things happening every day, to people all over the world - but in this moment, right now, we are here. We are breathing, living, seeing hearing smelling tasting... everything is HERE NOW. Being raised Catholic I was not encouraged to actually read the bible, but I did it anyway (so there!) and you know, there's some good stuff in that thar book; like this
Ecclesiastes: a time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance.

It's time to dance. It's time to live. It's time to heal our hearts and love. All we have is right this minute. Really, it is. No one knows what the future will bring, we learned that lesson good and well five years ago today. But the past is done, the future uncertain and what we have is this minute, this second, embrace that, be IN it - it truly is all we have.

And it is enough.

No comments: