Thursday, November 16, 2006

Trepidatious?

NOT.

Today is my last day at 'the job'. I could say my last day of work, but that would be erroneous. I may have more work lined up for myself than I can handle, but that's just fine with me. The difference being 'the job' has been sucking my soul. The 'work' does nothing but feed it.

I couldn't be more excited.

The persistent question I get from everyone is "but what will you do?!"

My answer: Plenty!

I understand that people are concerned. They hear you are leaving a steady income, they hear you are making a drastic change, and they worry for you. And I appreciate that, I really do. But I think perhaps the deeper truth is that they wonder: "what would I do?"

Here is where some soul searching comes into play.

Are you happy with what you are doing for a living?
I'd estimate 90% would answer "no".

What else can you do, what would make you happy?
I'd estimate 99% could not answer that question.

There's a popular phrase that's been bandied about for the past several years: thinking outside the box. The thing is, not many people dare to do this. It's hard to go against the grain. It's hard to imagine our full potential. It's WORK.

I understand that. It's so much easier to do what you've been doing, to do what has been set up and decided. To just keep going on the same path. And for many that's a great path! It works for them, and that's wonderful. But so MANY people are unhappy. So why persist in something that makes you unhappy? Simple: fear.

Change is hard. It is SCARY! Hell, it's terrifying. But the alternative is stagnation. And a lifelong inner questioning of oneself: 'what if'.

I suggest that if you have identified your 'what if' that you give it a shot. Figure out how to make it happen, find out what you can do to make your 'what if' a reality. If you don't know what your 'what if' is... try this: what did you want to be when you grew up? Let's face it, most of us have our dreams squelched pretty damned early in life. But that doesn't mean we can't get them back. They stay with us, they linger in our memories, they fill our fantasies in ways we may not even realize. The soul cries out for what it wants - we are the ones who stop ourselves. We listen to the inner voices of doubt and 'you can't do THAT!' and 'you're not good enough' and we settle. And we persist. And sometimes we can find a way to be content. But is contentment bliss? No.

Try getting into your head for a while. Try to remember the thing you dreamed of being before society, or your parents or teachers or your own insecurities told you 'no'. When you find that 'thing'... pursue it. Immerse in it. DO IT. You can, you know. You really can. There are a million ways to follow your own bliss. You may not need to quit your job to do it. I did, but that's me. You are you, and YOU can do it. You can have the 'what if' of your dreams be your reality.

It takes a little work.

But isn't finding your bliss worth a little scary work?

I think it is.

So today is my last day of 'the job', and tomorrow is my first day of 'work'. I can't wait. Can you?

No comments: