Tuesday, January 02, 2007

A little Information...

I be loving me some internet. I love the instant access to information. I love having a question pop up and being able to answer it by swinging into a google search. Unfortunately, what I love about the internet is also what I hate about it.

I'm a natural researcher. I just love finding stuff out, investigating, putting pieces together. In the days before the internet, yes kiddies there was a time before -- Shocking, I know, I know. In those dark, far off days people like me used crazy-assed things like, oh, I dunno... encyclopedias, libraries, card catalogues... I actually miss thumbing through card catalogues, you'd stumble upon some awesome stuff you didn't even know you wanted to know about or books you'd never have found otherwise...

Unfortunately, the internet allows you to very quickly insert your symptoms into a search engine and find out that you may very well have some disease or syndrome or whateveryacallit condition. Sure this is good because before you see a doctor you really ought to know what you might have (knowledge is power and all that) but in my case, the things that are popping up in my particular searches, regarding my particular symptoms of late, are things I'm not liking. I'm not going to go into detail on that here because it's all supposition on my part until I actually see the doctor who can confirm it. Which, actually I'm kinda hoping he can't confirm... as I said, I'm not liking what I'm thinking I might have.

With researching the 'old way' it would take hours with many, many books to find all the options of what might be wrong with me. That would leave me feeling I might have missed something (very possible) and I'd go off to the doctor with some information but the hope that I'd missed something simple and easy to fix. It's harder to feel that way when SO much information is so easily accessed right here on our friend, the internet.

And there you have it. The double-edged sword of information. Ignorance is bliss... uh huh. Ah well. Maybe that sort of bliss is overrated. I always prefer knowing to not knowing... but right now I miss the comfort of the card catalogue. On the other hand, I may be coming into some mighty fun prescriptions in the days ahead.

Now that's seeing the glass half-full! :)

1 comment:

Dirk_Star said...

You have a very lovely blog...

Yeah,it seems like the only people I find in the libraries these days are the homeless waiting for the evening shelters to open.

we may be watching the coming of the end of the printed word.

Good post...