Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Trousers... the removal of

If you know me, you know one of my firmly held beliefs involves men's apparel onstage. I like the pants to come off.

Okay, okay before you go throwing stones and calling me a pervert, hear me out.

I am not talking about any sort of sleazy sexual stripper deal where dollar bills are involved... though, yes, there is a place for that as well. (We can talk about that another time, no really, I promise.)

I'm talking about the high quality pants dropping. PG-13. The kids will not be scared for life... usually. I'm talking about humor. I'm talking that for some reason I find nothing quite so laugh out loud funny as a man taking his pants off with an absolute internal sense of amusement and lack of shame at the activity. Yes, I'm all highfalutin' with the Shakespeare and the ballet and PBS - but I also love the 3 Stooges (Moe in particular) and a grown man dropping trou on a stage.

Now usually, if one is smart, and lucky, one gets to see this whenever they see a Niagaras show. (and yes, that is the best possible version of the dropped-drawers that you will EVER see - go see them and then we'll talk, and you can tell me I'm right). But sometimes you can see it elsewhere, in a somewhat lesser version, but still, it's something I enjoy A LOT and so a lesser version is still okie-dokie with me. You know, as long as the guy's attractive...

I saw Jacques Brel is Alive and Well and Living in Paris today. A very attractive man, with a clear sense of humor (and very nice singing voice) began unzipping his pants and I swear I just instantly started laughing my head off because I knew where it was going. I know there were several people seated around me who were getting mighty... um... uncomfortable, but me? I was in boxer shorts heaven. It was funny - and appropriate to the song and staging. And I had myself a little fix of men in drawers. And in the middle of the afternoon no less!!

So what if my arm was tingling and I wanted to scratch the flesh off my hand? HA- HA I say! Take 'em off, sir and I forget I'm having any sort of physical discomfort. Laughter as medicine? Oh yes, you'd better believe it. It can save your life. It really can.

No comments: