Friday, March 30, 2007

It's not you....

The romance began on Monday.

It was all innocence at first... as these things sometimes start out.

A friend of mine tried to set us up. He found an ad on Craig's List and thought we were an ideal match. He sent me the ad.

The ad read:

We offer our spacious loft in Playa del Carmen, Mexico, 40 minutes from Cancun, in the heart of the Riviera Maya, in a private resort with Mayan ruins, tropical landscape and very close to the beach and to the dock to the island of Cozumel. The resort has an amazing golf course, tennis courts, aviary, and provides all services. We need an apartment for 2 people for 2 weeks in mid-May in Manhattan, preferably in the East side.

A match made in heaven.

So I got in touch.

Oh at first it was all -
them: you're perfect!
me:
No, you're perfect!

You know how that goes. I saw the pictures in their ad and though it wasn't exactly my style, it was in Mexico and I was more than willing to go for it. Yes, I would have gone all the way, I admit it... my desperation to return to Mexico was clear. I shame myself with my promiscuity...
So I sent them shots of my place.



Alas... it seems Internet dating for apartments is not all it's cracked up to be.

Seems they 'changed their plans' but will keep my address in case they decide to ...

oh forget it, it's the old "it's not YOU, it's ME" line.

*sigh*

Clearly their apartment was simply not attracted to my apartment. Sure, the chit chat was fine... it all sounded great on paper... then they saw each other's photos and the sizzle just wasn't there.

I'm going to explain to my apartment that there are other lofts, studios, oh hell, she deserves a 2-bedroom, 2 bath with an elevator and doorman and should settle for nothing less!

So my apartment and I will be here watching Home Decorating shows (which I can only assume are, for apartments, the equivalent of chick flicks) and maybe re-doing the floor in the kitchen (like buying new shoes!) until she feels better.

Me?

I'm planning a trip to Mexico in July - the hell with swapping! (just don't tell my apartment!)

5 comments:

whimsicalnbrainpan said...

I love your apartment!

Joy said...

THANK YOU!!

Bella said...

At first this reminded me of the setup of The Holiday... but alas, it wasn't to be. I think your idea of just planning your own trip is better anyway. You can be in a space you want and like. Plus, you don't have to have any strangers staying in your apartment while you're not there. I guess I'm just a little too suspicious of people, but I don't like the idea of strangers being in my house. It's sort of creepy.

Gary said...

Oh,honey. It's so sad when a relationship breaks up before it even begins. But I am sure that there are other places out there. Don't give up. The right apartment is just waiting to be found, it is NOT a reflection on you. (This is fun but I'll stop now -- you get the idea.)

d. chedwick bryant said...

I think your apt looks cheery--I love color. if the dog came with it, that would be a bonus--a 'vacation' dog!