Saturday, April 07, 2007

this is not a food blog...

This blog is about loving life and working through and understanding suicidal tendencies and depression.

It's also about how every day brings something wonderful to be happy to be alive for - something to experience.

Today's delight is Red Swiss Chard.


It may seem simplistic in the face of all the world's horrors and the day to day crap we may have to deal with. But when I see something this gorgeous... I can hardly believe it's edible. And yet it is, and is super nutritious as well as delicious. So simple, and so great.

I had never tried it before this year - just one more reason to be grateful to be alive.

By the way, those leaves are twice the size of my hands! It's an amazing veggie.

5 comments:

whimsicalnbrainpan said...

Happy Easter!

Do you eat it raw or cooked like greens?

Joy said...

I thought you had to cook it, and I've been steaming it which is great - but according to the link I found you can also eat it raw in a salad. Who knew?! It's really nice steamed though, sort of like spinach with a bite.

Bella said...

This is too weird! Today at Easter dinner, my cousin made swiss chard, and it was delicious. He sauteed it with garlic, onions, and a bit of olive oil. So good!

I liked it so much, I bought a bunch for myself.

Then, I come on your blog and see it.

A sign, I'm sure of it.

We've been eating swiss chard since I was a young girl, and I've always loved it. I'm glad you discovered it.

marxsny said...

I usually blanch it, then sautee in butter and shallots. You probably don't have to blanch it but the opportunity to use the word blanch makes me happy.

Joy said...

whaddaya mean ya don't HAVE to blanch it... dontcha' blanche? dontcha?