Saturday, June 02, 2007

Come into the confessional... chick flicks redux

I am obviously going through a wacky time. I'm going to admit to something that embarrasses me. Quite a lot. Especially given my VERY recent rail against chick flicks. Oh God.... This is really, REALLY a guilty pleasure. Here goes.

I love Music & Lyrics.

Okay. I said it. It's out there. I'm doomed. But I'm standing by this one. Doomed or not.

To my defense I have to say I only rented this because Drew Barrymore is in it and I have no guilt about thinking that she is the most adorable thing going. I just adore her (look, who doesn't have a Poison Ivy in their past?). There's a woman who's been through some shit - and look how sweet and SMART she's turned out! Talk about inspirational. Plus she's really under appreciated as an actress (she's also a very smart producer) - but maybe when she hits 40 the Oscars will come a-callin'. That's why I rented Music & Lyrics - for Drew. Because she always makes me smile.

What I didn't expect was to fall head over heels for the whole movie.

WHO ME?!

Yes. No one is more frightened and amused by this than me. But I know why I find it so appealing. Collaboration. Yup. That's it.

I have this thing about couples who work together creatively. I just think there's nothing more romantic and fulfilling. (My own attempt at this sort of thing was a terrible disaster, but that was because I chose to fall for a sociopath. Smart, that's me.) I'm sure it has much to do with my parents doing NOTHING together... except drinking and fighting. And I was raised on Lucy & Desi... Stiller & Meara... Louis & Keely... John & Yoko... even Nichols & May...

Anyway, I have had this movie playing in the background for days. Joy, this is not Die Hard, this is not Serenity, this is not Horror Hotel... this is NOT the type of movie you watch endlessly. (Despite my enduring love of Moonstruck.) And yet, I can't seem to get enough of it.

So mere days after my "I hate chick flicks" spiel the fates conspire to make me eat crow. Which is not on my vegan plan. But there it is. Yum.

Ah well. Admitting the problem is half the battle, isn't it?

3 comments:

Gary said...

LOL, I thought this was going to be a post on a secret, sudden craving for girl on girl films.
...and when you are thinking of amazing creative partnerships don't forget Larry and Vivien!

Joy said...

um.... didn't Miss Leigh end up going C.R.A.Z.Y? maybe not the best example?

whimsicalnbrainpan said...

I've heard a lot of good things about this movie.