Tuesday, June 19, 2007

I'm coco-nutty. . . and you love it!

Famous last words: this is not a food blog. It's like my diatribe about how I hate chick flicks. I really do like to go against the grain. Even if I'm the grain! But I've gotten a bit of positive feedback on my foodie posts/pix - and I've always been one to milk the attention if I can. So without any more preamble: here's the veggie ice cream of the day!

COCONUT!
I couldn't make a decision about whether I wanted to stir-in pineapple chunks or chocolate chips, so I did neither and just served 'em up one of each. May I say, completely objectively, this is some serious dessert!

I started with the fantastic Coconut Squared recipe at A Vegan Ice Cream Paradise but now that I'm such a pro (yeah, right) I made some subtle changes. Instead of sugar I used Agave Nectar. Oh yes I did - it makes me feel like Mexico is that much closer. I also used light coconut milk. Not that either of these makes this a particularly low calorie product, but it's a little better. Apparently Agave Nectar has a lower glycemic index than sugar, although it is sweeter, so not only do you need to use less of it but it won't make your blood sugar spike and fall. This is a good thing for people like me, who have some sugar issues. Like LOVING it. It's that blood sugar spike and fall that makes you want more, so if it doesn't spike, it doesn't fall and you're good with a rational serving. At least that's the theory!

This is by far the creamiest textured of the three frozen yummies I've made and that mouth feel is so like 'real' ice cream that it's hard to believe there's no dairy in it. I swear, I'm going to end up being the 300lbs vegan if I'm not careful.

1 comment:

whimsicalnbrainpan said...

It looks like you've got this vegan thing down!

It also looks yummy. :-)