Thursday, June 14, 2007

Saying Yes. Beans and Updates

Before I head out to see Living Dead in Denmark I wanted to jump in here.

I'm all about the cooking today - it must be the chill in the air. Some pretty universal advice I'm reading in my Vegan research is to try new foods every day. This is to make sure you get the maximum nutrition and all that stuff that makes you healthy and adorable. So the other day I grabbed a bag of dried Giant Lima Beans, also called Butter Beans, off the grocery shelf because although I love lima beans, I've never tried their larger cousin. I boiled 'em up last night and then ... what to do with the cute little suckers????!

I didn't actually have a recipe for them, I was just being bold and adventurous and 'trying something new'. Totally clueless this is what I came up with. Looks kinda purty, doesn't it? I sauteed some onions and garlic in a little olive oil and vegetable stock, then threw in some cumin AND oregano, sea salt and a can of crushed tomatoes. Popped in those giant Limas and it looked like it needed a little sumpin' sumpin. So I tossed in half a bag of frozen chopped collard greens and let it all simmer. FYI: DELISH!!! And EASIER than a $2 hooker!!

I poured it over some tri-colored whole wheat rotini and it was fantastic. Also wildly filling.

I got my hands on Vegan with a Vengeance today and flipped through it while I was doing my laundry. WOW! Now all I want to do is cook this stuff! This is all so very "Not Scary" cooking. Really, you ask me to make chicken and I get palpitations, but this stuff? THIS I understand.

I know I'm still new to this whole process, but it doesn't really seem like it's new. I have vivid memories of my vegetarian days and I don't think I ever really stopped reading food labels to make sure there was nothing 'off limits' in things. Now I'm just including all animal products to that list. You'd be shocked at the ingredients in some things. Like chicken in Doritos. It's true. It's in there. Yeah, exactly. Why not throw some salmon into your chocolate bar? Weird. But then, I'm no chef.

So I'm in a big cooking mood, but I don't have any more time today. Grrrr.

I also wanted to catch up anyone who was interested in the outcome of this. I found out today I didn't get it. Ah well, c'est la vie! The theater community mourns. Well, not so much, but I'm feeding my enormous ego right now. So let me dream big! Truthfully, I'm just so happy I tried that I'm totally good with not getting it. AND it also means the pressure is off. Pressure? Well, yes. Pressure.

You see *drum roll* I'm going back to Mexico! And if I'd been cast I would have been away for a week of rehearsal time which would mean my vacation would have been stressful. So all things work out as they should. Even if it doesn't always seem like it at the time. There will be more talk of Mexico in the coming days - oh don't groan! Believe me, keeping quiet about it this long has been a struggle!!

In keeping with the theme of 'trying' I want to mention a really good blog post that my friend sent me today. You can look at it here. It's longish, but it's a really worthwhile read. Especially if you are like me and have some 'fear' habits that are holding you back. I have to say that I'm totally behind this philosophy. I wasn't always ... and when it comes to attending parties I'm still stepping to the side as far as this 'saying yes' thing goes. But I am working on it. And the trying and the saying "yes" are the things that get you to places you never imagined.

If I had not said "yes" to seeing a play almost three years ago... well, quite frankly, I'd be dead now. So let's remember that the worst that can happen if you say "YES!" is probably never going to be as bad, or boring**, as if you say "no". I'll try to remember that the next time I have a 'going to a party' melt-down.

** this does not apply if you say "yes" to going to see The Pirate Queen on Broadway because it sucks the big monkey cock. Sorry. I know that was just rude, but so was sitting through that show....

2 comments:

Jay said...

Mm, looks good, I like a pot with lots of colour in it. Keep on cooking, girl.

whimsicalnbrainpan said...

All of these food posts are making me hungry! It all looks so good.