Tuesday, June 12, 2007

What's cookin'????

Don't know if you'd actually call it 'cooking' but I made some hummus this evening and here it is!This is not an earth shattering event. I've been making humus for *a-hem I'm old a-hem* years. But I actually haven't whipped it up in a long time, which is silly because it is so ridiculously easy to make that even I can do it!

It's really simple. Possibly the simplest hummus recipe ever. I got this from my high school friend, Noreen, who got it from her Lebanese in-laws after college. It's easy to remember, and easy to do.

Noreen's 1-3-3-3 Hummus*
1 big can of chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
3 cloves of garlic
3 Tablespoons of Lemon juice
3 Tablespoons of Tahini (sesame paste)

Drain about 1/3 of the liquid out of the chickpea can then dump the chickpeas and the remaining liquid into a food processor. Throw in the other three ingredients and pulse until it's a consistency you like. I like mine really smooth, but chunky is a choice as well. Taste before serving as you may find the garlic overpowering everything and you can fix that with a little extra squeeze of lemon juice. You'll know when the taste is right.

Plop that yumminess into a pretty bowl, sprinkle some paprika on it if you like, serve with pita, or pita chips, or veggies, or crackers (like in my picture).


*she never called it that - I just made that up now to show how simple it is to remember what goes into it. And if you don't have a food processor you could try the blender but I think a potato masher would work better.

1 comment:

d. chedwick bryant said...

Ok when are you going to have a big vegan food party for erm, some bloggers who are vegan or vaegan-ish?

now i want hummus. thankfully i am too lazy to leave the house at midnight to get some.