Tuesday, August 21, 2007

oh the boredom...

Oh no, not me: I'm about as far from bored as is humanly possible. Basil, however, is another story. Can you feel the sigh coming out of him? Seriously.

This is not his usual dignified pose, and as soon as the picture was taken he was up and brushing off his metaphysical tuxedo. Poor guy's a bit arthritic, which makes this position he's in here all the more tragically pathetic. But I started him on a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug that is safe for dogs and not long after this photo he was up and, if not overly perky, definitely seems to be improved!

See this look? This is the sort of 'take' he usually reserves for me. This was actually the second half of a double-take he was giving the cat who was grooming himself. I kid you not, the dog is a reincarnated borscht-belt comedian. This is what I live with.


The great thing about the new meds he's getting is they seem to be working. And quickly! He even wanted to go out today a few hours after the first dose. IN the daylight!! It's cold and drizzly and he still wanted to go out. This is such a relief I can't describe it. I imagine it's a relief to him as well. Poor guy. Hey wait just a... he's getting all these drugs and supplements enclosed in gobs of yummy peanut butter... hmmmm. I think he may not be hating that so much.

As far as how I'm doing, please know that I am in one helluva a happy place right now. A heretofore unknown happy place in a world I thought was pretty god-damned happy and I am more shocked than anyone could be. I am just really tired and preoccupied, I will be posting something more substantial soon. Honest I promise! But for the moment, I give you my photogenic pup to stand in for me. He's getting a little bored with my giddy giggling around the house, but as long as the peanut butter keeps coming, I think he'll bear with me. I hope you will too. It's all so damned good 'round here.

Oh - complete topic switch - if you would, keep in your good thoughts the wonderful people of the Yucatan Peninsula in Mexico as they brave hurricane Dean. Thank you!

4 comments:

Junk Thief said...

Aw, poor Basil. I wouldn't have laughed so hard at the potato chip picture if I knew about his ailments.

Joy said...

JT - NOOOO don't do the guilt thing! He's almost 12, he's a big dog, a bit of arthritis is just going to happen. He is actually in crazy good shape otherwise - and he loves a good audience (really, a ham)- so feel free to laugh.

whimsicalnbrainpan said...

I love the pics! The first one is just priceless! You really can hear a sigh coming from him.

Rhea said...

I love that first doggy pose. Sort of exasperated.