Sunday, September 02, 2007

100

Oh yeah oh yeah - give it up yo-yo-yo! I've got a fever, yesssssireeeeee. Whooo-hooo A+!!!

Possibly celebrating a fever is not the norm, but when have I been the norm? And while I'm not really celebrating, I figured I'd try to put a happy spin on the fact that I've been feeling like absolute crap for days and it seems to be getting worse instead of better.

If I have to knock back one more cup of tea, one more bottle of water, one more bowl of soup or gargle with another ounce of salt water I am going to scream! Well I mean I would scream except for the fact that I can barely choke out a whisper, nevermind a full-throated frustration purging scream. My vocal prowess is positively out the window. This is bad news for me. I like to talk. I like to chit-chat and make with the funny stories and just yammer to myself when I'm alone (though as I've mentioned before I am more often performing for the pets than truly talking to myself). At the moment I can squeak. It's a pretty decent chipmunk imitation. I don't have any real control over it, but when I'm not sounding like the hung-over gravelly love-child of Brenda Vaccaro and Kathleen Turner I'm squeaking like Flipper. This would be fine if I could actually say words with the inflections necessary to make them funny. The sudden squeak or laryngitial word (i.e., silence) is a real hindrance to effective communications. Particularly on the telephone where silence might mean anything from a thoughtful pause to a "can you hear me now" moment.

So here I sit, trying not to go nuts with the discomfort of my throat and the inability to speak as I want to. And the exhaustion! I am positively whipped. No, not in the good way. Geez, keep it outta the gutter people! I'm sick over here!!!

The fever is likely a big part of the exhaustion - it's hard work for the immune system to fight off infections. I did think it had passed, my temp went down to 98.5 this morning! That's still a little highish for me as my normal everyday temperature is 96.8 - it's a metabolism thing. But still 98.5 was a lot better than 101. Unfortunately it spiked back up - and I could feel that it had. A fever is such an odd thing: for me, I become intensely aware of every inch of my skin. It's sort of the way you feel if you've gotten a bad sunburn - and suddenly you are aware of parts of your skin you never really thought about. Top it all off with a low-level headache and you've got good times here.

I took the first available appointment I could get with my doctor for Tuesday. I'm counting on her to fix me. I don't need to be an A+. I'd be really happy with a B 'bout now.

8 comments:

Salty Miss Jill said...

Feel better, sweetie. :)

Junk Thief said...

Aw, sorry to hear about your fever/cold. In a twisted way, I sometimes welcome getting sick, or slightly sick. I can sit on the couch with the cat, watch trash TV/movies, and if I decide to help someone or do a bit of work I am praised for being so devoted and generous. And no one will dare to criticize me in my delicate condition.

Oh, you sound like Brenda Vaccaro? Can I give you my phone number and you can say all kinds of wacky things to me? I promise to do my best Jon Voight imitation. "Dang, lady, what kinda crazy party is this!"

Gary said...

Well, if you had to get sick better now than next week. Get well soon!

Joy said...

Miss Jill - thanks, I woke up feeling better today! I've got my fingers crossed that it continues!

JT - "Everybody's Talkin' At Me, I don't hear a word they're sayin'" :) Today I sound more like Brenda at that time than now, so I guess I'm improving!

Gary - You said it baby!!

Happily Anonymous said...

There are days I'd be happy with a "C". But B's are good to shoot for. Makes you honor roll material.

whimsicalnbrainpan said...

I hope you feel better soon.
(((HUGS)))

Another cold blooded person! My normal temp is 97.2.

whimsicalnbrainpan said...

Are you still alive?

Joy said...

Still *cough* alive *cough* but *cough* still *cough* sick. :(