Friday, October 19, 2007

It's the little things

I have gone through three computers in the past 8 years (and 5 hard drives... oh the pain of that!) But in all that time I have not made my computer usin' area as user friendly and creativity inducing as I have now.

I have updated the desk, and cleared the space, but until today, no amount of tidying-up or reorganizing helped. It was still a seriously unattractive space because of the horror of the giant desk chair. This was a chair my father had given me for Christmas at least 8 years ago and though I never loved it, it was better than using the colonial style hard backed kitchen chair I had inherited from my parents and had been using since.. oh, 1985. Yeah, okay so I'm slow on furniture choices.

The big gray monstrosity would have been wonderful in a larger apartment. Or an actual office. Still, kinda unattractive, but certainly serviceable. And it was comfortable, until I got a new computer desk that kept getting rammed by the arms of the gray monster and drove me NUTS.

Picking out a new chair is something I've been toying with for years - but it's that decision making that is so tough. I'd prefer to wait for the perfect chair. So I endured the monster. Hmmm. Sounds like there's some subtext there, eh? But really, the chair.
The Apartment Before Apartment Therapy
*note Nick in the gray monster


Yes. That's a pleasant place to be, huh?
I tried to keep a towel on the chair to avoid Nick clawing at it.
Like it helped. Not so much.


Basil's cat, Nick, loves the gray chair. It's an obsession of his. This too drives me nuts. The second my butt is out of that chair, Nick is in it. He can be sound asleep in another room and he senses I have moved off the chair - even if it's only a centimeter, and BLAMMO his furry cat butt is in the chair. I don't want to think about how many times I have accidentally sat on this cat.

Last week I found what appeared to be the perfect chair. I ordered it online and it arrived today. It matches an ottoman I already have and it's SMALL and fits under the desk and it is making me stupid happy. Clearly, as I am writing what amounts to a paean to a desk chair here. Short of topics much?

Before I even assembled it, Nick was scoping out the new chair.

And I was on to him. And he knew it.
Tthe chair has been unpacked, assembled and in place for two hours. Nick has managed to be on it only once. I don't imagine it will be possible to keep him off it. But maybe if I drape it with a blanket? So much for an improved work space.
That's how it looks right now. Well, not right now because I'm actually sitting on the chair and typing this... oh you know what I mean. Better, isn't it? And all it took was a little chair.

10 comments:

BetteJo said...

OOH what a cute little area! It's adorable!
I'm always on my couch with a wooden TV tray (do they still call them that?)in front of me, a pillow in the small of my back. Maybe I should try to make a cute little spot. Hmmmm.
You're making me go Hmmmm.

Joy said...

Thank you!! I'm loving it.
As far as tv trays, I dunno what the kids call 'em nowadays, but I'd call it a tv tray. :)

Ladron de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

That was helpful to read your description of the home office. I work from home (for my real job), and have been toying with setting up more distinctly separate work and personal office spaces, which is a challenge in an urban flat. Perhaps I need to do some shots of my current "offices". For the longest time I've wanted to find some online source, support group of other homebound workers. Any tips? One of the dubious additions in my new work-related laptop is an embedded camera. Alas, no more 8 a.m. conference calls in my Spiderman PJs and Hello Kitty slippers.

Joy said...

LdB - Apartmenttherapy really helped me. This link is for the SF site. They have tons of resources. Between the Apartment Therapy 'cure' and the book Clear Your Clutter with Feng Shui (which my SF connection sent to me!), my apartment has come a looooong way.

BTW I think you can still wear your Hello Kitties, just keep the camera aimed up! ;)

Josh said...

Wow. This is so much better!

Joy said...

Thanks! See, I have been busy!

Gary said...

Things are looking better over there! Looking forward to sitting on it.

Joy said...

between you and that cat... oy!

Ladron de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Thanks for those tips, Joy, and for introducing me to folks in SF. I have friends in Park Slope, TriBeCa and the Upper West Side if you ever want to enlarge your circle.

whimsicalnbrainpan said...

It looks great Joy!