Monday, November 26, 2007

Adopt ME!

Last night I did a volunteer dog walking and socialization gig at New York Animal Care and Control through New York Cares.

I have wanted to do this for a long time but put it off for fear of coming home with six new dogs. I mean really, I have a cat because my dog wanted one - I'm not strong when it comes to the critters. But I finally bit the bullet and signed up for this one because I think it's important (and I went armed with the knowledge that Basil wouldn't like another dog getting too much of my attention so I really can't bring home another one - visitors are one thing, a new addition to the household - uh. yeah. not so much.)

I was happy to see that the place was jumping! Not with dogs, but with people who were there to adopt dogs and cats (and even rabbits!) The kennels where they keep the dogs are immaculate and comfy - this too made me happy. I've seen pet stores that aren't so well tended - and fyi never buy from a pet store.

This is one of the little charmers I walked last night. She was just a bundle of happy energy and we met a guy on the walk who (hopefully) is stopping by the shelter today to see if he can adopt her. She is just one of many wonderful, sweet dogs that is looking for a good home. If you live in New York and are thinking about getting a dog (which I HIGHLY recommend you DO!) this is the place to find your furry BFF. Even if you aren't able to adopt right now they have fostering programs for cats and dogs and of course, you can always volunteer to walk these happy pups and get them out in the open for a while.

The staff at NYCACC is so good, the dogs all loved them, which is recommendation enough for me.
She was not loving the 'adopt me' sign; which is why it kept slipping off her back, but I think it's because she knows orange is not her color. Hopefully she won't be wearing it for much longer!

There's really nothing like having a dog. They lower your blood pressure, snuggle you when you're sad, make you laugh and are a constant source of happiness. Why not adopt one today?

5 comments:

Ladron de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

We have a lot of the same dog walkers in SF, and our SPCA is one of the best in the country, especially for cats.

Have you seen "Year of the Dog"? I am one of the people that thought it had a happy ending about the character finding something she loved to do and that was more important than finding a lover. Though having both is not bad.

BetteJo said...

My 4 cats would rip the face off any dog that tried to move in. Matter of fact - I'm not sure what they would do if I came home even smelling too much like dog. They own me y'know.

whimsicalnbrainpan said...

I think Basil will be able to smell the fact that you were out with other dogs though. ;-)

Seriously, thank you for doing such good work.

Joy Keaton said...

Ladron dB - I haven't seen Year of the Dog - I have trouble with any movie with animals because ... Bambi-syndrome, something bad always happens to them. But if you can tell me otherwise I'll definitely rent it!

Bettejo - believe me, I know!

Whim - Oh he smelled 'em all right. I got that look when I came home. You know that "Ruby, don't take your love to town" look. *sigh* ;)

d. chedwick bryant said...

what a great idea --- hope someone adopts that dog!