Thursday, November 22, 2007

Happy Thanksgiving from NYC!

I have a little treat for you this lovely Thanksgiving Day morning. No, not smallpox infested blankets, and no, I'm not here to steal your land. (A-hem. Not that I'm commenting on the holiday or anything like that.) In the spirit of the day as it ought to be, I am not able to bring you yummy roasted squashes and pecan pies, but I am able to bring you some photos that are uniquely New York City.

Last night I went to the Macy*s Thanksgiving Day Parade Balloon Inflation. You probably know that this takes place every year (this is the 81st year) the night before the big parade. It is an amazing spectacle. Two full city blocks are full of inflating cartoon characters - and people! Okay the balloons are inflating - the people do that the next day.

This is the 3rd or 4th time I've gone to see it and it is the first time I've encountered such huge crowds. Understandable as the weather was INSANELY nice yesterday which brought out the hordes. Hard-core folks like myself go even in crappy weather. (I must give Gary props on that score as well as he and his nephew joined me one year when it was not quite so pleasant a night.) I'm not a fan of parades in general, but I do love the giant balloons.

But before we go to the Balloon Inflation, here are some scenes of my wonderful city:


And here are (Drumroll please) the balloons! Or for you F-Troop fans: It Is BAL-looooon!!!



Now go have your feasts, remember to be thankful that you are here, because being alive and able to celebrate it are gifts not just for today but for every day!

p.s.
Don't you just love that Ronald McDonald is eyeing the earth like a tasty morsel? Scary, no? I'd like to think that someone on the parade line-up committee has a strong sense of the ironic.

6 comments:

d. chedwick bryant said...

Super pix! No place like NYC ... and NYC during the holidays is Beautiful. I LOVE Christmas shopping in NYC--the energy gets you motivated!

the r.McD pic is frightfully good.

Gary said...

Happy Thanksgiving!

Ladron de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Wonderful shots. The one of Ronald McToxic seeking to dominate the earth is a classic. I have that 1980s Belle Starrs tune World Domination going through my head.

Happy non-Turkey Day. I'm thankful for meeting you and your blog circle in 2007!

BetteJo said...

Great pics! I totally missed the parade, didn't turn the TV on at all till past noon, so thanks for sharing!

whimsicalnbrainpan said...

Thanks for sharing the pics!

Joy Keaton said...

I'm glad you all liked 'em! Made dealing with the crowds worthwhile!