Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Because I Feel Like It

I have been sooooo not blogging. You might have noticed... you hordes of readers, you! I have not been feeling well. (Poor Joy!) I'm still not feeling great, but better than I was; and all the baking for the holidays is over and done with. Whew. I seriously baked like a banshee. You can imagine the wails and shrieks. It's not pretty. Worth it. Just not pretty.

So Christmas. The Yuletide. Feliz Navidad, and so on. I bought myself two presents. One was a bra fitting and two ridiculously over-priced but oh so fantastic bras. You will not be seeing them here. Sorry kids, I know you were waiting. Yeah. Uh-huh.

The other was a new printer/scanner/copier. My old one was just dead as dead can be, don'tcha know. So I finally broke down and got a new one - two weeks ago - and called it a Christmas present. Well... this little gem required a cd-rom drive. Guess whose drive has been dead as dead can be for months? Bingo. That's correct! So I finally broke down there as well and ordered a new one. shiny new drive that does so many things with cds/dvds/cd-roms... from playing them to writing them. OO-La-La!

Problem is the the damned thing didn't fit my computer. I have one of these compact Dells which is terrific in a NYC apartment space-wise, but not so terrific if you FORGET that you need to order slim-line components for it. OY VEY. Listen, I did mention I've been ill? Not my usual self? Quitting smoking? Yeah. I've got a million of 'em.

So I ordered a slim drive. It is not quite so fancy-pants as the other, but at this point I just didn't care so long as I could copy my cds into iTunes and use my pretty printer/scanner/copier.

It arrived so quickly I was delighted. It fit like Cinderella's shoe. And it wouldn't EFFING WORK!

Seems there was a registry error in my computer. I fear my old drive may actually work and that the registry keys were the problem all along and that the purchase of not one, but TWO new drives plus one return and exchange were all for nuthin'. Nuthin' I tell ya.

Except that today. The day after Christmas. I finally figured out the solution and not only uploaded a new cd to my iTunes but I also used the scanner. It's my first. I'm very excited.

To show you how excited, I'm posting this photo.



That there is me and my BFF, Gary somewhere back when the dinosaurs roamed. I don't know for sure but I'm guessing this is somewhere in the area of the early 1990s... oh God I remember those days... meeting lots and lots of new people and sleeping with them. Oh sex... I remember YOU. *sigh*

Sorry. Memories and all.

Back to the present. I was supposed to quit smoking on December 21st. Didn't happen quite that easily. I ended up buying a pack late that afternoon and although I was a bit miffed at myself I am delighted to say that that one pack lasted me through last night! That's five days - one pack. Quite a switch from my usual pack-a-day. I smoked the last two yesterday and today, so far, not a single one. Which is pretty damned miraculous if you ask me, especially since I spent something like 8 hours working on the computer that was making me KAH-RAY-ZEE enough to want to throw it out the window.

I typically smoke like a steam pipe when I'm blogging as well (pretty much anything on the computer results in me lighting up) so right now I'm going through some mighty fierce feelings of "something's missing here..." and truthfully I'm a little scared that just the act of typing this post will be enough to send me out into the icy rain to run down to the Hello Deli and plunk down my $7.50 for a pack.

But I'm hoping it won't happen.

Oh hell. The cat is puking-gotta run. He was eating the Christmas tree earlier.

... and I'm NOT smoking?

7 comments:

Bella said...

Sounds like you had quite a day!!

BetteJo said...

Glad you're feeling better - and the almost not smoking is great! Those triggers are tough. I used to smoke when I drove my car. Still miss that some.
We had cat puke here today too, HATE IT!!

Ladron de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Happy almost 2008, Joy. It's been a joy reading your blog this year and getting a peak into your life. Congrats on still being smoke free. Way to go BEFORE making it a new year's resolution. I've been in a similar spot of getting over not feeling so well and looking back to holidays past before a new year arrives. (Yes, sex, remember that crazy thing!) And what a great picture. Were you two about to head off to a Journey concert?

Joy Keaton said...

Bella - a day... a week... the whole past MONTH. Oy VEY! ;)

BetteJo - Thanks for the encouragement. I've made it 48 hours as of this writing - I anticipate slip-ups, but I think this Chantix stuff my doc prescribed is SERIOUSLY effective!

JT - Feel better honey! Re: the picture - at that point in time, had we BEEN going to a Journey concert I would CERTAINLY attempted to have sex with Steve Perry. Alas, I believe we were simply hangin' at Gary's (when he lived in NYC) with some friends. Still... Steve Perry, huh? ;)

whimsicalnbrainpan said...

I hope you feel better soon and keep trying with the smoking.

Ladron de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Steve Perry? Oh, man, I need a cigarette after that.

Gary said...

Hey Joy,
I love that photo. We were young and happy then, no? Well, there is always some drama - something to overcome. Wishing you the best in the new year.