Sunday, March 23, 2008

Entirely too much time on my hands....

This, my dears, is what happens when I should be working on my taxes. The old photos come out and I play with the scanner. My innate need for a laugh will invariably beat out any sense of pride, so here goes. A tedious trip down memory lane. Tedious for you, hilarious (and just ever so slightly embarrassing) for me. But, ya know, it's my blog.
Now how's that for some fancy hair? Always a trend setter, this was not to be my last spiky hair style; but it was the last time I willingly wore overalls. What a beauty, eh? And note the tasteful nautical wallpaper. Mmmm. Pretty. My childhood home. oy.

At this point, My First Communion, I was hell-bent on becoming a nun... or living on a kibbutz (choices, people, choices - there's a lot going on when you're 7). Nonetheless I would always prefer to be playing with a dog. Who cares about keeping your veil and crown on straight when you've got a huge Yorkie visiting? Oh. I'm just now noticing the fact that my skirt seems to be hiked up. More of that to come....
Jump ahead to 1985, a scant 6 months after my college graduation. Dear GOD, what a vision! Of COURSE that is a polyester coat, don't even go there. I was a big ol' vegetarian attending PETA meetings at this point so I do NOT want to hear it. I loved that coat. And truth be told, I even loved the perm. Only girls with straight hair know the longing for the curls...
Ever demure, ever sweet. My desire to become a nun had long passed, but I still loved that whole black and white look and, quite apparently, hiking up my skirt. I also note that I should have worn a black slip under that dress instead of... um... not.

Once again that black and white theme rears its head. Always one to take the sacraments of the church (or in this case synagogue) seriously, this is what happens when the cranky bridesmaid becomes chummy with the bartender AND the wedding photographer. Kids, don't try this at home. And please don't ask me to be your bridesmaid!
Completely switching gears - the 'Effing High School Reunion I attended (under duress - never again!) and in a red lace peplum dress. Purple contacts and white hair. Nothing like switching up the look. (Really, Madonna who now?) Then again... if you go back to the top it seems I have the same hair style in a different color. Hmmmm. I guess I really do likes what I likes.

In case anyone was wondering, this was as close to the convent as I ever got

The perm ain't great, the top is as unflattering as humanly possible, but as I couldn't hike up my skirt (not wearing one), I dropped the shoulder instead. So there's something. A sad attempt at sass, but it amused me. Yeah, yeah, it still does.

6 comments:

whimsical brainpan said...

I love the pics!

That picture of you as a toddler looks a lot like pictures of me at that age.

LadrĂ³n de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

That was much more fun than taxes. The perm and fake fut coat was my favorite look, I think.

marxsny said...

Joy, I had no idea you were ever a blond, I think everyone has tried that at some point. That fur coat is fantastic.

Joy Keaton said...

Whim - it's a look, isn't it? :)

JT - thanks, I loved that coat so much I wore it out until it LOOKED like real fur... ratty, flea-bitten, but real fur.

Mark - You're not the first to mention that they had never seen me blonde. It makes me think it's time to do it again. My first dye was blonde - every shade possible. Up to the white pictured above. But the red called in my late twenties and I was hooked.

Gary said...

I remember many of these looks (and so does my mom, you know what she says about you "she looks different every time I see her") but as these things are cyclical I think it is time to bring back the overalls and spiky hair!

Joy Keaton said...

Gary - it's spiky every time I'm at the gym (oy what a sight!), a little too '80s for me. But the overalls - you'd have to buy me a trip to Mexico to get me into those things!