Friday, April 04, 2008

Tips From My Mom #3 - Entertainment

Remember that having children can be a source of endless entertainment. Be patient with them.

I've mentioned that my mother was an early-riser. A real morning person. She was married to a true night owl and had a child who shunned the daylight and was plagued by insomnia from the age of seven. What a delightfully complementary group we were. In no way whatsoever. But I have also said, and I do stand by this despite it often being at my expense, the woman was funny.

One gag she pulled on me was a real slow burner. Meaning she planted the seeds early and often and then had to wait several years for the punch line.

Because she was up at the crack of dawn, and in a great mood (god help us all) she would sing when I got up. She sang "good morning, good morning, we've talked the whole night through, good morning, good morning to you..." Nearly every day. Once I asked her, "what is that annoying song?" She said, "oh that's just 'Good Morning' - I wrote that a long time ago."

A couple of years later, it was a Saturday afternoon I believe, I was flipping the dial on the old black & white television and heard people singing. They were singing MY mother's song. ON TELEVISION! It was a movie! IT was Singing in The Rain.


I nearly shit myself I was so excited! By GOD we must be rich! My mother had written a famous song! Why were we living in lower middle class squalor when she was clearly a musical genius! Was this life some sort of witness protection plan to keep crazed fans at bay? It must be!

I yelled like a banshee. MOM. MOM! MOMMMMMMMMY!!!!! They're singing your song on the television!!!!!

She came into the room. Looked at the television set. Listened for a moment. Took a drag on her cigarette. Looked at me and said. "I didn't write that."

"But you said..."

"Oh Joy. C'mon."

Then she laughed and laughed.

Can you imagine putting forth a set up and waiting all that time for the pay-off?

God that woman had patience.

3 comments:

Fraulein N said...

Dang that's funny. Imagine how happy she was when she realized "The moment I've been waiting for! It's finally here!"

whimsical brainpan said...

Boy, talk about commitment to a joke!

Joy Keaton said...

Fraulein n - oh I KNOW she was delighted!

Whim - if she was committed to anything, it was the laugh. :)