Sunday, May 18, 2008

God help you all

It took a week, but here it is. That long-anticipated video of the (eeek!) performance . The laugh you'll hear most prominently is Gary - who is holding the camera so he was trying very hard to be quite - I suppose I'm just too funny, aren't I?

The first couple of introductory lines were cut off due to unavoidable camera issues, but you'll get the idea. The essay was inspired by the image displayed behind me. The other four essays (and their readers) were great, but again with the camera issues (battery time/memory size) we only got my piece on vid. This is the first time I've seen any sort of video of myself onstage since the early '80s. The 1980s. Ha-Ha, yes they DID have video cameras back then... with sound even!


Many thanks to everyone who helped me with this - apparently it takes a village for Joy to write an essay and read it aloud. Robert for precision editorial assistance; Lori for being my live audience and her incisive direction; Gary for trekking in from the hinterlands with his camera; and of course, Kate Tellers who was kind enough to let me do this piece in her show.

And thanks to all of you reading this who've been so supportive and special thanks to the braver among you who actually sat through the video! God love ya! xoxoxoxox

6 comments:

whimsical brainpan said...

LOL Joy! That was awesome!

Oh and amen BTW. I hate people who think that just because you have a womb you must use it. I knew at 4 I never wanted to be a Mom.

BetteJo said...

That was great! I love how you tied it all up at the end, and - I think I saw the same movie in the 5th grade! Too funny - you should be so proud!

Gary said...

Joy,

I like what you did with the video by adding the pictures and the graphics, very nice. Not a bad video for such a tiny, tiny camera huh? Oh, that nerd stuff, technology, pretty great these days.

Bella said...

Awesome! You did a great job with taking terrible childhood experiences and making them funny. Bravo!!

LadrĂ³n de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Wow, I think you were born to be on stage/camera. I would have recognized the laughter of your costar even if you hadn't told us. I hope you'll consider doing vlogging/monologues here in the future. It's fun to read your musings, but your deliver in person adds so much more.

Salty Miss Jill and I are discussing an early autumn Manhattan blogger meet-up. Stay tuned for details.

Joy Keaton said...

Thank you all for being so supportive! :)