Thursday, December 25, 2008

Merry and Bright... finally

Well Merry Christmas, Happy Yule, Rock-on Saturnalia, and all. I spent this festive day watching a ton of movies, cleaning and at long last - decorating my Christmas Tree. Yeah. Day late, dollar short that's me.

I mean I bought the tree and put it up right after Thanksgiving. Put a string of lights on it about two weeks later and then today actually got my ass in gear and pulled out a box of bulbs. It's a tiny tree so a dozen bulbs and candy canes pretty much did the trick but man oh man WHY did it take until today to do it?!

Well... couple of reasons. 1) the insomnia situation - which seems to have finally resolved itself with the help of serious 'calming' teas and a fabulous little holistic pull recommended by a friend called Formula 303. This stuff is chock full of the dreaded stinky Valerian Root, Passiflora and Magnesium. You have to take it throughout the day to get the desired effect (SLEEP) but it certainly seems to work. I've been playing catch-up with Mr. Sandman for the past week and a half and let me tell you - it's NICE! Sure it would be nicer to have just slept normally every night instead of no sleep for a month followed by nothing BUT sleep for weeks but I've never been really good with moderation.

The insomnia left me awake but ambitionless. The sleeping has given me the energy and a rebound of some ambition (like actually giving the dog a bath!) but since I'm unconscious most of the day and night now I haven't had the TIME to do much of anything! Really. There's just no winning with me.

I did however manage to make a pan of Baklava (veganized, nice.) which is nothing like my usual Christmas cookie festival of baking, but at least it's something. And putting the few ornaments it will bear on the tiny tree has made me feel like it's finally Christmas... of course tomorrow it won't be. *sigh* Not that it matters - it's just a day after all and as long as the tree isn't dropping needles the way Basil and Nick shed there's no reason to take it down just yet.

But now it's after 10PM and I am simply wiped out from the frenzy of putting 12 small ornaments on a tree and plugging in the twinkle lights so I'm going to go back to bed, curl up with my 4 current books and promptly (wheee! I love that) pass out.

Merry Merry to everyone.

6 comments:

Bella said...

It's wonderful that you've been able to sleep!

The tree sounds adorable. I say, leave it up until at least Jan 1.

I'm dying to know what you did to the Baklava recipe. I watched my friend make Baklava the other night, and I can't imagine not using butter. What did you substitute? How did it turn out? I think I'm asking for a recipe post, missy!

LadrĂ³n de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Same to you and to Mr. Basil. Hope you keep watching some great flicks and get some sleep.

Joy Keaton said...

Bella - I had planned to put the recipe up but got side-tracked. It's HERE at my Vegan blog! Thanks for the push. ;)

JT - I saw some GREAT movies and slept too! It's like a miracle! :)

Salty Miss Jill said...

This sounds like a perfect day.
Happy Merry, sweetie!

whimsical brainpan said...

I'm glad you are getting some sleep.

Happy New Year!

Gary said...

Somebody has a birthday coming soon!!

Can't wait to celebrate with you....