Thursday, December 04, 2008

The Tree, The Tree

Last night I went to see August: Osage County on Broadway. What a fun show... dark, sure, but I love that sort of thing. Last night was also the lighting of the Rockefeller Center Tree. It is a huge event here, the type where seemingly millions of people push and shove to see the lights turn on a tree. It's the type of thing you want to avoid. I did attend the ceremony once back in the '80s with my mother. Let me tell you: it's as bad as Times Square on New Year's Eve - or worse. Too many people with no clue how to behave in a crowd. Or any where else apparently. But I was able to avoid most of that mess because I was happily sitting in a Broadway theater with one of my best theater buddies seeing a Pulitzer-prize winning hoot of a play.

But because I'm a sentimental Christmas-y sort I did bring my camera with me so that I could grab some 'first night' shots on my way home from the theater. Since the lighting was at 7PM and the show let out at 11PM I figured the crowd would be thinned. It was. Not entirely, but it was okay - if you knew where to walk. And as I've done this sort of thing before (note: Christmas sentimentality here) I got my views of the tree with no irksome crowding.

Here's a little slide show of my walk from the theater on 45th & Broadway to Rockefeller Center.


It's a touch bigger than the sweet little tree I picked up for my apartment on Tuesday (and have yet to decorate). But mine smells really pretty, it grew in North Carolina (hi Whim!) and truth be told who would want to deal with cleaning up the needles from that behemoth in Rockefeller Center? Not I, my friends, not I.

Despite being really tired (STILL!) I have been dealing with that ol' friend o' mine: INSOMNIA. So this evening I bought a box of Valerian Root tea. Here's hoping this stuff does the trick. *yawn*

4 comments:

LadrĂ³n de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

I love those big bulbs and wish I were in Manhattan during the holiday season. I bet I can guess who was your date for the show. It is a wonderful mix of sadness and humor but ultimately a bit hopeful, I think. Was Estelle Parsons still in the lead?

Bella said...

I'm so glad that you shared these pics with us. Absolutely gorgeous. And I really like the big bulbs in your new header, too.

Sounds like you had a great night. I hope you're able to get some zzzzs soon!

Salty Miss Jill said...

There's no place on earth like NYC between Xmas and New Year's. :)
And what a cute tree you've got there! Can't wait to see it when it's all adorned...

Jay said...

Cool pictures, but yeah, I like your little guy. Good stuff.