Wednesday, December 10, 2008

*yawn*

Let's talk about Valerian Root tea for a moment, shall we? Yes. It isn't knocking me out the way I thought it might, but apparently it can take a couple of weeks of use before it starts to kick in. In the meantime it does seem to be having at least some relaxing qualities in my waking hours... which is good since my waking hours outnumber my sleeping hours by... a lot. Don't ask me to do this kind of ratio math. I have had a hearty 3 hours a night for the past few days. YES! Sounds like a lot huh? Think maybe I'm sleeping too much? Could be. ON JUPITER MAYBE!

So every night I'm mixing my sleeping draught... mwahahaha my magic potions... I feel like I'm in the 19th Century drinking my sleeping elixirs. Where's the laudanum, huh? WHERE? Oh the good old days when you could just get it over the counter.

I'm all for the natural sleep cures, I really am, it's just that I'd like to have something just knock me the hell out and let me sleep for more than 3 hours at a clip. I'm not asking for the moon here am I? Just 8-9 hours sleep a night. An Earth night. I know there are pills out there that will (or should) put you right to sleep. The fabulous 'dolls' of old... your Seconals, your Nembutals and other such "mother's little helpers". Oh sure there's reasons to avoid them. Things like that morning-after hangover, messing with REM cycles and of course that silly little problem of addiction but seriously I WANNA GO TO SLEEP already!!!

And I'd like it to be soon. I'd also like it to not have to be accompanied by cups of really, really foul smelling tea. I'm here to warn you right here, right now: Valerian Root S.T.I.N.K.S!!! Truly it smells absolutely awful. There's nothing about this fragrance that says: Yummy let me drink some of that and then go beddy-bye. No. It's nasty. (Though it does seem better mixed with something else, a little chamomile or another sleepy-time tea blend. It cuts the stench somewhat and makes it taste a little better too.)

Despite the fragrance issue I'm not discounting its efficacy. At least not yet. As I said, I am giving it a couple of weeks to see how it goes and even then (if it doesn't work... please, please let it work!) I wouldn't be able to discount it for anyone else. I'm a tough sleep. I can stay up and read, watch foreign films (subtitles, you know), play computer games, take the dog out, clean the apartment - all on two Lunesta. So I'm just pointing out that if the Valerian Root doesn't work for me, doesn't mean it won't work for someone else.

I just really, really wish it would work for me.

NOW.

Sing with me, won't you? All I want for Christmas is a good night's sleep, a good night's sleep, a good night's sleep... See? This is what happens when you don't sleep. You post inane blogs about how tired you are. *yawn*

3 comments:

Salty Miss Jill said...

Sleep, schmeep. Your body will get what it needs when it needs it. (Oh so true for so many things, right? ;) )
I have an old chemistry textbook I use just for such purposes. Out like a light, that shit is so boring.
Sweet dreams, when they finally come...

xoj

LadrĂ³n de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

There must be something very wrong with my hard-wired DNA, since my reaction to most of the "sleepy time" teas is that they keep me up all night. They always make my throat and nose dry and miserable all night.

BetteJo said...

Y'know you can take valerian (sp?) in capsule form. Not a soothing nite-time ritual, but it doesn't have a flavor!