Friday, January 16, 2009

Dig the Freakiness

It's so freakin' insanely cold, here in New York. When I took Basil out this morning (NOW he wants to go out!) it was 9 degrees with a windchill making it feel like -1. Not even close to balmy out there. Since I have some dog walking to do over the weekend and fear my regular two pair of pants, 16 shirts under a down jacket will NOT be enough, I decided to go buy long-johns.

I haven't worn long underwear since I was a kid (a 5' 4" kid, but still... a kid) and my mother had some that I would borrow out of desperation and... she was SO goddamned skinny they barely fit me which naturally created a life-long dread of the things because you know they could NEVER fit me since my emaciated, anorexic mother's were too small. yeah. Way to hold onto a thing, huh?

So I went out in the frigidness and got a super cheap set of top and bottom thermals- in the fat girl's worst nightmare color: WHITE! Because that was all they had left. Apparently other people have had the same idea as me, what with the freezing cold and all. Go figure.

Well. I decided I'd try them on and see just how horribly uncomfortable they would be - like they were back in the olden days. First of all - um... they fit. I mean they were actually kinda loose and I should have gotten a size smaller. That was shock number 1. Shock number 2 came when I braved looking at myself in the mirror.

I actually looked BETTER than I do in regular clothes! I mean... not to toot my own horn here but, I made these things look hot! Curves baby, curves.

I be needing some more of these things. I sense a new fashion trend.

You know, or not.

7 comments:

BetteJo said...

Well hell - definitely buy more! Even if you don't start a fashion trend, there's nothing like passing a mirror at home and being happy with what you see!

Bella said...

Too funny! I'm glad you're now able to wear the thermals, worry free.

Being from CA, I've never worn thermal underwear, but can imagine they keep you nice and toasty. (I also can't imagine what -1 degree weather feels like).

Gary said...

Now to get you into one of those union suits with the flap in the back (you know me likes those) and put on a fashion show.

whimsical brainpan said...

I say go get some more!

You know it's been cold out when 30 degrees feels balmy.

Jay said...

It's a low point in the winter when you start thinking about long-johns. Here it's been in the -40C range with the windchill and I'm just too cold to make logical decisions.

When you mentioned that white was a fat girl's worst colour, my first thought was that you are so NOT fat, and my second thought was: oh god, i did NOT get that memo! I've been walking around in the worst possible colour and not even knowing it!

In the end though, it sounds like you've at least found yourself some new comfies for lounging about the house it. Long live warmth!!

LadrĂ³n de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Well, we've been having a heat wave out west, and it was in the mid-70s last week. That's not good news for the rest of the year and water supply.

Salty Miss Jill said...

You WORK those long johns, Miss Thang! Stay warm!