Thursday, February 26, 2009

Creating Your Own Destiny

I have been swamped with happy work - this is amazing to me. I have always been able to find a way to pay the bills - well... except for that awful time that I don't want to get into right now. But unfortunately that 'way' almost invariably ended up being in some job that was in no way whatsoever what I wanted to be doing. And yes, that means it was in an office in a secretarial position. Sometimes the money was great, sometimes it sucked, but the truth is either way was bad, bad, bad for me. Following a 9-5 life is not good for me. It's too constrictive, too predicated on some bizarre whim that says even if you have nothing AT ALL to do and even the paper clips in your drawer have been organized in accordance to size (I dare not tell you how many jobs I've had where doing just that was the high point of my day and the most productive thing I'd do in a week) that you must still sit at some desk twiddling your thumbs until 5pm.

Have I mentioned how much I hate that? Yeah. Probably about 2 million times.

I've said it before and will continue to say it: the worst day walking dogs is still better than the best day in an office.

I am still amazed that I am being paid to walk with dogs. It's the most incredible feeling to do something so fun, and that I truly feel serves a much needed purpose - for the dogs and for their people - and get paid for it! It's unbelievable to me, as I'm sure it will be to anyone who has ever worked with me in an office, that I am not only on time to this job but that I am often early! And when I go 'over time' (which happens with some regularity because I lose track of the time, or the weather's great, or the dog is just having too much fun to make them go home) I don't mind at all. I don't get paid for that overtime, which is fine because it's my choice - unlike the last office I worked in where I always stayed late and very, very rarely got paid for it.

Even more amazing to me is how many dogs keep falling into my lap, so to speak. It's like some magnetic canine pull. Like these pups have just been waiting for me to finally figure out that THIS was a good move for me. It's also a lot like a book I've owned for years and never could quite 'get' called "Do What You Love and the Money Will Follow". Well, you know sure I've pursued lots of things I've loved - ain't none of 'em ever had the money following. But this time it seems to be in sync and that is still astounding me.

The other thing is how good I feel all the time now. Make no mistake: I get incredibly tired, and I have had some bad issues with my hands aching to a ridiculous degree (from holding on too tight with certain new dogs who have been big 'pullers'). But even when I'm hurting, and too tired to even send an email to keep in touch with people, or to read, or to knit (ouch!), I'm happy.

I'm doing work that makes me happy and pays.

That is a sentence I never believed I would write. Ever.

It makes me feel like for once I really am in control of my own destiny. Probably my new-found obsession with Bikram Yoga is adding to that, but I think most of the credit goes to the dogs. And after all, we all know what dog spelled backwards is - don't we.

Namaste baby, Namaste.

6 comments:

Salty Miss Jill said...

What a great post! I'm feeling the same kind of way about my new job as well. Doesn;t feel like work at all, and the exhaustion that follows after a long work week is rewarding.
Glad to hear you're working the yoga, too!
Now we just need to manage to be in the same place at the same time again one of these days...

BetteJo said...

Holy cow, you sound great! What a joy to read (uh..your name..it fits, right?)about someone sounding so happy and satisfied! I wonder if some of it is because of all the exercise and those natural endorphins coursing through your veins. But whatever it is - it's wonderful and I'm happy for you!

Gregg said...

My dream is to be an eccentric heiress/basenji and shiba inu walker on the Upper East Side. When we pass on Park Avenue, I hope you will ask me for a latte and dish on all the dogs of the human nature. "Oh, girl, that bitch was clearly in heat, and you should have seen what she did when I offered her a biscuit!"

A great post, and I a loving those shiba/pug/basenji videos over on your FB account. Do you sometimes feel that all these cyber personalities make you feel a tad schizo? I wonder what Freud would have to say about being "followed" on Twitter?

whimsical brainpan said...

It was such a pleasure to read this post. I am so glad you have found a place in life where you are not only happy but thriving.
:-)

Bella said...

It brings me so much happiness to read that you're doing something you love so much. It sounds like the dog walking is the perfect fit for you and the dogs. I'm so happy for you!!

Gary said...

Hey darling,

This is what Following your Bliss is all about. You know how Joe said when you are on the right path doors and windows open that you never could have expected? It seems that you are on that path. Things are falling into place because of passion and work (work that does not feel like work because you have passion).

Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful - I feel like Lawrence Welk.