Friday, April 03, 2009

24

With only 24 hours in a day and me needing something closer to 37 I've found a lot of things not getting done. These are things I've told friends I'd do for them - fully intending to - and then in the seemingly endless additions to the To-Do list have not gotten done. Please note my guilt about not getting these things done is huge.. yet I still continue to not get them done. What IS that? Fear primarily.

I've probably mentioned before that when I'm fearful of doing something, being somewhere, just plain fearful, I tend to go to sleep. It's a weird interpretation of the fight or flight mechanism. My version: no fight, no flight, big nap. Sure it would have gotten me eaten by a dinosaur.... but wait, did humans co-exist with dinosaurs? Hmmm. I'd best double-check my bible on that one. Any way, using napping instead of fighting or 'flighting' wouldn't have worked in more primitive times, but here in my cozy little apartment... or occasionally on the subway... I have found it works for me. Of course I don't get done the things that I'm frightened of doing (my fear? Fucking it up.) but it does help tip back the balance lost from my usual insomnia, so it's good for something at least.

So I've been sleeping well the past few weeks using the combination of herbal remedies, tons of dog walks and fear of doing things I said I'd do. Boy, it really does take a village to get Joy some ZZZZs.

It hasn't been all sleeping and dogs however. I have truly been busy-busy in all sorts of wacky fun ways. In no particular order:

I did an interview for a spot on Televisa (Mexico's Top News outlet) about unusual jobs in the U.S.

I have boarded three dogs in the past three weeks.

I pulled up the cracked and hideous tiles on my kitchen floor, repaired the sub flooring, trekked home two incredibly heavy boxes of tiles (one more to go) and laid them out. BTW the floor now looks gorgeous even though it's only 90% finished.

Laundry.

Made an ill-conceived and embarrassing attempt to deliver a sick friend a care package. Let's not even go there.

Reading books for the Blind and Dyslexic every weekend.

Went to my aunt's funeral on the dreaded land of my birth: Long Island. She was last of my father's siblings, and a really lovely lady who I wish I had known better.

Got a facial and a full body sugar scrub (there was a Spa Day sale and I couldn't resist).

Knitting for the homeless.

Finally using the gift certificate for a massage that Gary gave me for Christmas. Hellllo.

Went to the theater for the first time in months and actually saw a good show! Then went for drinks which, can I tell you?, I haven't gone to a bar just for actual drinks in so long that I do not even remember the last time. Met an extremely good-looking (and smart) guy who did not seem repelled by me (yay!!) was not 12 years old (yay!!) is straight (dear god YAY!) and who, naturally has not called me (*sigh* oh well... 3 outta 4 ain't bad.)

After 10 years of bitching about it I finally flipped my refrigerator door so that it opens in the right direction... this involved buying my very own ratchet set. Yes, I can get really excited about a ratchet set AND a facial. Both are good fun! I am woman: hear me roar, watch me make home repairs and PLEASE don't interrupt my mani/pedi!

Ran into a friend on the street in front of my apartment and ended up having her come up and help me get rid of some of my extra wine and laughing our asses off.

And with all this going on I have my friend obligations that I've already bollocksed up and looming large is the fun fun FUN of doing my taxes!

All this was a very long-winded way of saying: I haven't been blogging much because I've been a little busy.

I'm hoping that starting next week I may have a little more free time, or will have at least gotten adjusted to being really swamped and find a way to find a few minutes to blog. The past few weeks I've just been sort of slammed with new schedules, serious running around, and a mind burdened with the thousands of things I want to do and it's just made it hard to think clearly. But next week... next week will be calmer.

I think.

4 comments:

Salty Miss Jill said...

You really do have the most wonderful life, lady. :)
xoxoxoxoxoj

Gary said...

This post made me smile. I am happy to have been a part of the 'madness'. Look at that, still smiling. (Check your bible...that is an evening unto itself.)

See you Monday.

xoxo

whimsical brainpan said...

I'm sorry to hear about your Aunt.

Damn have you been busy!

Funny I tend to get inappropriately sleepy when my pain level gets high.

LadrĂ³n de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

I want to see that TV spot and new floor. I don't remember there being any problem with the floor, but I'd love to exchange notes on what you did and what I did in January.