Thursday, April 16, 2009

Basil took a walk... yes Virginia there IS a Santa Claus

The irony of walking other people's dogs when my own dog refuses to leave a 20 foot radius in front of our building is much fuel for my own self-deprecating humor. It's very much 'the cobbler's children have no shoes'... except that walking Basil is not something I don't have time for, or don't want to do. In fact I began walking other people's dogs because Basil refused to go for walks with me. It made me sad.

Today he made me as happy as if I'd just met Cesar Milan. Happier. Because today Basil walked with me.

I honestly do not remember when he last walked with me - it's been that long. From time to time he has deigned to cross the street to say hello to the lovely Mr. & Mrs. Chow who run a cleaner's, or to go almost all the way down our block (because he didn't realize how far we were going!) But a real walk, a walk that involved leaving the block, crossing an avenue and circling back? Please. Mr. Basil don't do THAT sort of nonsense. Until today.

I saw my yummy Mexican Dog Whisperer hero deal with a situation like Basil's once. A dog who would 'put on the breaks' at a certain point on his block and would walk no farther. Of course, Cesar fixed the problem. I watched the segment over and over and then applied the principles to Basil - and truly, it worked. But it only worked for about a week. Then Basil pulled rank and that was that.

Today I just... well, I'm not sure what happened to day. It's gorgeous out, Basil didn't seem anxious to run back in and I decided to push the envelope (or the leash) a little and it WORKED. There was no fighting, no tugging, no pulling and best of all, no tail between his legs. He walked like a ... dare I say it? He walked like a 'regular' dog! For more than 20 minutes!

I worry about his joints hurting, but he didn't seem to be in any sort of discomfort and he actually seemed happy to be walking. I cannot express how thrilled I am about this. It may not seem like such a huge deal, but anyone who knows this dog knows it is HUGE.

Will he do it again later? Or even tomorrow? I can only hope, and try again. But for now I am reveling in the thrill of having walked my OWN dog. I couldn't be prouder.

7 comments:

Salty Miss Jill said...

Good boy!
:)

Gary said...

Wow! I DO know what a big deal this is. I hope he keeps it up.

Oh, and please send him my love (Nick too).

Joy Keaton said...

Jill - he really is a good boy. :) Maybe when you're in town next, Mr. Basil will walk with you too! :)

Gary - can you stand it? We just got back from doing it again! Two mornings in a row... I think it's time to buy lottery tickets. :)

Bella said...

Awesome! I'm so glad Basil was able to go on a walk for that long with you. Sounds like you both had a great time.

P.S. - I love the new pic you have in the header. What type of flower is that?

Joy Keaton said...

Well, not only did we have a great time but he's done it four days in a row now! I love walking other people's dogs - but for me nothing beats walking with my Basil. I'm feeling very lucky. :)

The flowers are from one of the many gorgeous Magnolia trees that are currently in bloom in Central Park. They smell divine!

Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Bow has NO problem walking beyond our block. She'd walk with me to Oakland and back if I were up to it. What's weird is that she has little interest in the back garden, something plenty of dogs in tiny SF and NYC apartments would give their right front paws for. She will go out for about 90 seconds, sniff a bit and then head back in the flat as if she thinks it's a boring room in our home.