Thursday, May 21, 2009

The Transition

My P.C. has been giving me grief for at least a year - there's always something and it's always slow.  Not to mention the terrible noise.  Yeah, my hard drive was so loud people would ask if someone was running a lawnmower outside.  Outside here being a NYC street... not so much with the lawnmowers.

So I finally decided to bite the bullet, part with the bucks and switch sides.  I got a Mac.

The few times in the past that I've encountered a Mac I've been so thoroughly disoriented that I swore I would never switch.  Of course I said the same thing when the big Windows change came, you know the one that went from keystrokes to using a mouse.... and before that programming the kooky thing yourself using BASIC.  I'm sorry, is anyone old enough to remember those days?  Methuselah, you reading this honey?

Well, several of my friends have made the transition from Windows to Macs and they speak with the fire of the converted.  I've been through enough crap reformatting hard drives, reinstalling new drives, having to deal with dying P.C.s to finally join the ranks of the Apple people.

I've had it for just over a week and I'm still feeling like I never used a computer before... okay that's an exaggeration, but after decades of doing it one way it's a little confusing.  I kind of miss knowing what I had to do to make something happen, and where things were and how to fix things that were broken but change is good and learning new things keeps the brain from atrophying, so I'm embracing the new.

I'm really embracing the quiet too.  This machine is so quiet I wonder if it's actually plugged in.  I mean I hear NOTHING from it.  The P.C.s have always rattled and quaked so much I wondered if there really WAS a little man in there turning the drives.  

I still have a way to go to feel like I really know how to use this thing properly, but I figure it'll come.  And it will be worth it when I finally master the new programs and have things actually work the way I know they ought to. Everyone says Macs are easier to use but when you've spent so much time with P.C.s and have an intuitive feel for them (easy for me because they are clearly as wacked as my thought processes are) it's maybe not so easy as it might be for someone who had trouble with learning P.C.s.  But I'm going to persevere.  

I miss my right click a bit though, gotta admit.

7 comments:

BetteJo said...

I have never once used a Mac. I picture myself reacting as if I just landed on a planet where everything is opposite of what I know. I resist change. I don't know if I could do it. It would be one thing if I could have both - but I don't have the money for that so I stick with where I feel safe. You are very brave!!

Joy Keaton said...

Oh I think the bravery only comes from a point of frustration... like it was switch or throw the P.C. out the window, possibly hitting someone. Of course if it hit the mid-life crises lawyer across the street who guns his motorcycle engine at 8:30 a.m. right outside that same window... well... No, I guess my conscience will rest easier with just getting a Mac.

But you're totally right about it being opposite in almost every way. Even the time is located in a different corner. It's gonna take some getting used to.

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the Borg. You'll like it here. And you'll be using your new Mac for the next 5 years.

Anonymous said...

Btw, regarding "I miss my right click a bit though, gotta admit."

Assuming you have a laptop, find your link, place 2 fingers down on the trackpad and click. Voila, contextual menus!!!

Anonymous said...

oh and if you have a desktop Mac, just buy a 2 button mouse and start using it, it'll work.

Gary said...

Hey girl,

Love the methuselah shout out. LOL.

You need to set the mouse to have a right click. Go into system preferences, then to the keyboard and mouse (under hardware) and make the right click your secondary button.

Let me know if this solves the problem.

and glad to be of help...

Joy Keaton said...

Anon - thanks for the welcome... I will assimilate. ;)

Gary - Son, I am shocked and delighted - your tip worked! I have a right click! Who woulda thunk it? Gracias Amigo!!!