Monday, May 11, 2009

What makes a two-hour train ride worthwhile?

Saturday night, as you can see from the previous post, I was attending Comic Tales of Tragic Heartbreak's CD release party. It was an AMAZING evening. Seeing them play in a bar/club setting is fun - seeing it in a theater with appropriate lighting and a great sound system where Robert Whaley can really let his inner thespian out is even better.

My very wonderful BFF Gary dragged himself away from a ton of grad school work to travel into the city from the farthest reaches of .... far away (I honestly don't know what is outside the borders of NYC...) to see this show with me. Because I asked him to and he is a good friend (and knew I'd kill him if he didn't! :) But it meant a lot to me that he came because it was a bit of a hassle for him. But I also knew that he would LOVE it. And he did. The proof is here.
video

Now not everyone enjoys this sort of attention, but those of us with our very useful degrees in THEATRE, well... we kinda love it... we actually EXPECT it. And happily it seems to happen with some regularity: Keely Smith, Debbie Reynolds, Shockheaded Peter, the lovely Miss Coco Peru... I could go on, I'm just pointing out that these 'interactions' with a live show + the Joy & Gary show are nothing new.

I got a good solid half hour of Saturday night's show on video - if my memory card was larger I could have gotten the whole 90 minutes - plus the celebratory dance party that happened after the show. Because you know, this Comic Tales of Tragic Heartbreak isn't a typical show. It's theater, music, and of course dance.

I'm only posting one song, this is the one that Gary responded to the most so as a 'thank you' to him for coming I thought I'd share it with everyone.



I can't wait for them to do this show again, and if you can get to, or are in New York, you should come too - you'll get a gold star in my 'book' if you do! Like my friend Hélène who also came even though she was swamped. (She didn't get pulled onstage so I focused on Gary here, but I also want to put it out there that I appreciate her coming too!)

4 comments:

Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

I hope to make it back to New York in September or October, so tell them to start working on a show just for me. Good to see Gary working his theatrical charms, even when it just involves standing and holding a beer bottle. That's harder than it looks, believe me I speak from experience.

Gary said...

Ahhh, thanks. How darling are you!?

It was worth a two-hour train ride (four if you include the ride back). Seeing Mr. Whaley in a theatrical setting without the distractions and annoyances of drunk chatty patrons made all the difference for me (and the fact that he included me in the event, not just once, but twice!). I really enjoyed it.

And I was able to finish my paper by the Sunday deadline and got an A for my efforts. Who says you can't do it all?

Salty Miss Jill said...

Oh, VERY cool!
Gary played along beautifully and is handsome as ever.
Damn, I wish I could have been there to hold the camera (at least!) to get a little Joy action in there, too...
Next time, for sure!

Joy Keaton said...

JT - I'll pass the command performance request along. :)

Gary - I know you hated being dragged up there... God bless you, what you put up with. ;)

Miss Jill - I wish you could have been there, I know you would have just loved it. But let me tell ya, there ain't much 'Joy action' any where, let alone on a stage. *sigh*