Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Poetry

America is not known for its love of poetry. Other countries embrace it, but here, well, not so much. Of course good music has lyrics that can, not always but sometimes, stand alone as poems so I guess we have that. But even in a country that fears poetry (gosh, ya have to figure it out and all) there are the occasional pieces that everyone can recognize. Casey at the Bat... for example. But this... well... this is the stuff people. Of course, I've got to admit that what makes it good, no, great, is the performer.

With that I give you, Star Trek elder statesman and all around riot: William Shatner:



Now in all seriousness, go get a book of poetry from the library and give it a shot - I'll bet you can find at least ONE poet who speaks to you.

4 comments:

LadrĂ³n de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

I've been reading a lot more poetry this summer. I've returned to one of my favorite, Frank O'Hara, who so beautifully captures the rhythm of Manhattan.

Gary said...

And of course the poet that speaks to me leaves you flat. it's like our taste in men. Keeps things interesting.

This vid is a riot. Folks are so clever sometimes.

DeeM said...

ha, that was great.
I have one word for you... Flarf.

Salty Miss Jill said...

I myself like Kathleen Graber.