Thursday, January 07, 2010

Theme Thursday - Polka Dots

I have been swamped with work (walkin' the doggies) and obsessing on Doctor Who. I haven't had the energy, nor felt the inclination, to drone on about either here. Well, I haven't felt the urge to write much of anything really, and so I haven't.

Last night the ol' ball and chain (a/k/a BFF Gary) sent me an email to check his latest blog post which is part of a Theme Thursday posting. So I popped over and read it. You can read it here.

It spured me on to finding and scanning in some old photos of myself dressed in the subject of the Theme Thursday: Polka Dots.

This is a scan of a polaroid from the early 80s so it's not in the best shape, but I think the dots are obvious. Not only the skirt and blouse but my bag, shoes, earrings and bracelet were all black & white polka dots. I love me some dots and moderation was never my strong suit. Certainly not back then, not in wardrobe.

Since Gary had mentioned Minnie Mouse in his post I was delighted to find the following photos, which I promptly scanned and posted on Facebook where they raised some questions, so now I feel compelled to post here and answer those questions.

Here then are the photos.




The reason I am dressed as Mini-Mouse is because it was my job at the time. In the 1980s I worked for a party company and dressed up (not just Miss Mouse, but a whole slew of cartoon characters as well as clowns and gorillas and such) and attended children's parties, store openings, weddings, bar mitzvahs, the usual. (oh tell me you haven't done it!)

The reason I'm in these somewhat fetishized poses is because my mother was living in Bayside, Queens in the basement apartment of a woman who just LOVED Mickey and Minnie Mouse. One day when I was going to work a party nearby I stopped in to show her the costume. Because yes, I'm an attention whore. She hauled out the camera and asked me to pose all over her house - and why would I say no?

When she asked me to pose in the kitchen it brought back so many familial memories of happy times (a-hem) that I insisted on having a bottle of liquor at hand.


Ahhhh, now that's homey!

9 comments:

Gary said...

I am loving the whole hanging at home with Minne vibe. It is like a LOOK magazing spread. I can't believe that I have never seen these. You continue to surprise me.

Can I tell you how much I love being referred to as the ol' ball and chain? Tons!

Gary said...

PS - Lovin' the TARDIS

Betsy said...

I was just talking to a friend about Dr. Who today...he kinda resembles him! :)

Mmm said...

Cute post and outfit. LOL.

JeffScape said...

More Minnie!

You had a job dressing up as characters? Why did you quit???

Salty Miss Jill said...

These are priceless!
I think the last photo depicts Minnie's dark side and alter ego: Maxie Mouse.

lettuce said...

ha, great outfits

love the last domestic photo

Poetikat said...

I'll be looking for you on Facebook, Minnie!
There is no other Doctor Who besides Tom Baker!

Kat

Joy Keaton said...

Gary -THANK YOU! LOOK is exactly what it is like. Albeit a somewhat Dali-esque LOOK. And of course, Thank you for the fabulous Tardis - it is such a useful thing and so FUN!!

Betsy - can I meet you friend? ;)

Mmm - Thank you, sadly I don't own the outfit... I would probably wear it out in the world (without the mouse head!)

JeffScape - While the job was fun it was also terribly hard work in those heads (the latex ones were the worst). And all good things must end, they say.

Jill - Things were NOT always happy in the Mouse House... sometimes cheese was not enough.

Lettuce - Something about that bottle called to me.

PoetKat - Tom Baker has always been MY Doctor, but I gotta say... David Tennant... a very, very close second.