Saturday, September 04, 2010

Blogging... Podcasting...

I just haven't had a big urge to write in months and months. Some of this has to do with my glasses. Huh? My eyes are bad, bad, bad. When I was in elementary school the school nurse did eye tests and told me I qualified as Legally Blind. I think that might have been a bit heavy handed as 30+ years later I have yet to hear that phrase again as applies to me, but it gives you an idea of how coke-bottle like my glasses would be (without the invention of lightweight plastics). This means I need glasses to do pretty much anything. I have old pairs stashed all over the apartment in case I can't find the current pair because seriously without my glasses on I cannot find my glasses. Catch-22 anyone?

At least once a year I need a new prescription, and because my glasses cost a small fortune, literally, I have 'cleverly' put off re-upping for a year. This has been a really stupid mistake. Not my first, not my last I'm sure. It has curtailed my ability to read for more than 15 minutes at a clip, holding a book about an inch from my eyes causes eye and hand strain. Ouch. If I'm not reading, I'm not writing either. They pretty much go together.

Not being able to read has been a real loss to me, but I found an alternative. Audio books. Yay! And in searching for those I found I really love Podcasts. I'm a little bit addicted. The How Stuff Works poddies are terrific and since I'm a geek I'm also listening to Wil Wheaton's podcasts, as well as a slew of others.

About a month ago I finally sucked it up and had an eye exam and got new specs. Online, for a fraction of what I normally pay and in fact got 3 pair for less than I would typically pay for one pair - do I love me some internet or what? Oh yeah.

But before the new glasses arrived Gary was over one evening and we decided we'd throw down, try our hand at Podcasting and see how it went. We recorded a couple back at the end of June and will be doing more in the coming weeks. We're calling the Podcast "What Do You Know?" and that's explained in the here. I hope you like it. We had fun doing it.

No comments: